THE “FRUIT MAKES YOU FAT” MYTH LIVES ON…UNTIL NOW!
NUTRITION QUESTION: FEAR OF SUGARS (fructose) – “Aric, I usually keep fruit at bay because of the fructose… you seem to use it a lot. Doesn’t it make you fat?!”
ANSWER: It depends on a LOT of factors, big myth! There is no need to fear it.
1) Include roughage with your fruit (berries with skin, seeds etc). Eating 1 cup blackberries has a FAR different metabolic response versus drinking a sport drink!
2) Include SOLUBLE fiber with your fruit (ex. oats) to help SLOW digestion and regulate the insulin response (ie reduce how high your blood sugar spikes after the meal)
3) Fructose has a LOWER insulin response compared to glucose.
4) My current goal is to GAIN weight/muscle, requiring more calories and carbohydrate in general. Instead of grains all of the time, fruit provide carbs with far more nutrients than a bowl of brown rice.
5) Include some FAT with your fruit, same reasons at #2 above. It is an easy way to add heathy fats and calories to your diet on a training day AND slow digestion. Slowing digestion has many benefits including improves satiety and a lower insulin spike (blood sugar spike) after your meal.